In this post I am going to show you how to sambaza Safaricom airtime from your line to another phone number – using various methods.
First, how does the service work?
You must have money in your prepaid account. Without having airtime on your line, you’ll not be able to share your airtime with another user on the Safaricom network.
So, let’s say you purchased 250 Kenya Shillings airtime for your line via M-PESA, used some, checked your balance and realized there’s KSh 150 left – and you’d like to give your cousin Shillings 50, what do you do?
You get their phone number, and then follow the first method (to sambaza airtime) I’m about to show you.
Dial *140*Amount*Phone Number# to sambaza airtime on Safaricom
Here’s how the format would look like if your cousin’s number was 0704123456 and you wanted to send 50 Shillings airtime: *140*50*0704123456#.
Any time you want to sambaza airtime, just use the simple USSD shortcode (*140*Amount*Phone#).
It is simple, efficient and always works without fail – provided you have sufficient airtime. As long as you have even Kenya Shillings 10 airtime balance, you can sambaza 5 Shillings to them and remain with 5.
Do note that the service is exclusive to Safaricom users only.
I’ve written articles about how to share airtime in those other networks. Just click on the links on each telcos name to learn more.
So, what other methods can you use to share / sambaza your airtime with other Safaricom users?
Dial *456# to sambaza airtime to another Safaricom phone number
- Dial *456# on your feature phone, smartphone, tablet, laptop or desktop computer (if using your Safaricom line in a modem or router)
- Select option 2: Okoa / Sambaza / Please Call Me
- Select option 3: Sambaza Airtime
- Enter the phone number you wish to send airtime to e.g. 0704123456
- Enter the amount to sambaza e.g. 50
- Press Send
Wait for a confirmation message from Safaricom with details of the transfer
Use the Safaricom SIM toolkit to sambaza airtime
- Go to your device’s main menu
- Select Safaricom SIM toolkit option
- Select Safaricom+
- Select My Account
- Select Sambaza
- Select Prepay
- Enter the amount to transfer e.g. 50
- Then select either of these options: 1. Search SIM contacts to locate recipient’s phone number OR 2. Enter mobile number of the recipient manually
To search your phone book for the number, use the Search SIM Contacts option. Enter a letter to locate the recipient’s details from your phonebook
- Or enter phone number manually e.g. 0704123456
- Press OK
Other methods to transfer airtime to another Safaricom line
These methods don’t qualify as Sambaza per se, but you can still use them to send airtime to other Safaricom users.
Load airtime to the other user’s line directly if you’ve purchased a Safaricom scratch card
- Purchase a scratch card of any denomination from s shop or retail outlet near you – say a Kenya Shillings 100 recharge voucher. Scratch to reveal the PIN.
- Go to your phone and dial *456#
- Select option 4: Balances / Top Up
- Select option 1: Top Up
- Select option 2: Other Number
- Enter the phone number you wish to top up e.g. 0704123456
- Press Send
- Enter the Voucher PIN number
- Press Send
Buy the other Safaricom user airtime from your M-PESA account
- Go to your Safaricom M-PESA menu
- Select Buy Airtime
- Select Other phone
- Search SIM Contacts or Enter phone number of the recipient e.g. 0704123456
- Enter amount e.g. 50
- Press OK
- Enter M-PESA PIN
- Press OK.
What if you want to sambaza internet bundles to another number? I’ll link to a post on this (Here’s the post: How to use Safaricom Sambaza Internet). If you want a quick answer, just dial *544# -> select Normal Data Bundles WITH EXPIRY -> scroll down and select the MORE option -> go to the next page on the menu -> and select the Sambaza Internet option.
Enjoyed reading this post? Visit this category to view my other articles on Safaricom products and services.
To view my recent articles, go to the Niabusiness homepage.
To share your thoughts, use the comments section below.