- 1 How to register for Airtel Money
- 2 How to access your Airtel Money mobile wallet once it is activated
- 3 Items under the Airtel Money menu
- 4 When I access the wallet via the SIM toolkit option, the list looks as follows:
- 5 How to pay Airtel Kenya postpaid bill using your Airtel Money account
- 6 Putting money in your Airtel Money mobile wallet
- 7 Checking your Airtel Money balance
In today’s post I am going to show you some of the options available to Airtel Money users in Kenya. Basically, I am going to explore the various menu items you’ll likely see when you dial *222# or access your Airtel Money mobile wallet via the SIM Toolkit menu on your device.
How to register for Airtel Money
First you will have to buy an Airtel Kenya SIM card if you don’t have one. Once the SIM is registered, the agent / Airtel personnel (from the shop where you get the card) can help you activate your Airtel Money account.
Registration doesn’t take long.
Note that Niabusiness has linked to some of the resources on this page using affiliate links. When you click on something and purchase it, Niabusiness will receive a commission from every successful sale / referral, at no extra cost to you.
All you have to do is remind them that you want your Airtel Money account to be activated before you leave.
If you already have an Airtel line but the Airtel Money option hasn’t been activated, just visit one of the nearest Airtel Kenya agents / shops to begin the activation process.
Carry your ID with you and some little money to load into your account once it is activated (Kenya Shillings 100 should be enough. Or Sh 500, 1000, 2000, 3000, 5000 – however much you want).
Registration is free and can be done at:
- an Airtel Shop in Nairobi, Mombasa, Kisumu, Nyeri, Meru, Kitale, Kakamega, Eldoret, Kericho, Nakuru, Nyali, Mtwapa & Malindi
- an Airtel agent shop in your neighbourhood or at a bank offering Airtel Money services. Often, you’ll find some agents who work with Safaricom also work with Equity and Airtel.
How to access your Airtel Money mobile wallet once it is activated
Go to your phone’s main menu and look for the Airtel icon. Tap on it and then select the Airtel Money option.
Or, just dial *222# on your phone to access the Airtel Money menu. You can save this USSD shortcode in your phonebook or add it in your speed dial list.
I recommend using both of these methods to access your mobile money wallet especially if you have an old SIM card you haven’t upgraded to 4G. Why? Because the menu items look a bit different when you access your wallet via the shortcode vs. the SIM toolkit option.
When I dial *222# for example, the list looks as follows:
- Send Money – use this option to send money directly to any network. Send money even to people with Safaricom or Equitel phone numbers. You’ll have to visit a bank / agent first, to deposit some money in your account. Once your account is credited, you can send part or all of the money to whoever you want. Note that depositing money in your Airtel Money wallet is free. You may incur certain charges though for sending money.
- Buy Airtime – use this option to buy airtime for your line or another Airtel Kenya phone number. You won’t get charged a service fee for airtime purchases made on your Airtel Money wallet.
- Withdraw Money – use this option to get cash. Just visit an agent with your ID, and use this option to make a withdrawal.
- Loans & Savings – use this option to get a loan or save money on your Airtel line – if you qualify. This service is similar to the options you always you see under the M-PESA menu such as M-Shwari and KCB M-PESA. On your Airtel line, there’s an option for M-Fanisi and Kopa Cash.
- Lipa na Airtel Money – use this option to make payments to providers / businesses that accept payment for services and goods via Airtel Money. It is similar to Safariom Lipa na M-PESA feature.
- My Account – use this option to manage your Airtel Money account: check balance, reset PIN, manage favourites (phone numbers), reverse wrong transactions, get your mini statement etc.
When I access the wallet via the SIM toolkit option, the list looks as follows:
- buy airtime – same as above but you also get the option to search for a number you want to send airtime to from your contacts list (phonebook).
- send money – same as above. But you can also search for the recipient’s number directly from your phonebook.
- make payments – same as above. Use a paybill (KPLC, DSTV, Nairobi Water, KAPS, Airtel Postpaid or other paybill numbers) or card to make payments.
- withdraw money – same as above. Use this option to withdraw money from an agent or ATM.
- bank – use this option to connect / send money from your Airtel Money account to your bank account / another bank account. You can also use this to withdraw money from your bank account to your Airtel Money account. It is somewhat similar to connecting your Equity Bank Kenya account to your Equitel line. You can also use this option to check your bank balance, bank statement, or bank info of any of these banks (Barclays, CBA, CFC Stanbic, Citi, Co-op Bank, DTB, ECB, Eco Bank, Equity, Family, Harambee, Housing Finance, I&M, KCB, NIC and Standard Chartered Bank).
- my account – same as above. Get your balance, change PIN, change nickname and get reports.
How to pay Airtel Kenya postpaid bill using your Airtel Money account
I saw this option while accessing my mobile money wallet via the SIM toolkit menu. If you want to use it to settle your postpaid bills:
- Access your Airtel Money menu via the SIM Toolkit
- Select make payments
- Select pay bill
- Select Airtel Postpaid
- Enter the amount you want to pay in Kenya Shillings e.g. 2500
- Press OK to send the KSh 2500 to Airtel
Putting money in your Airtel Money mobile wallet
To deposit money in your Airtel Money wallet:
- visit a bank that offers Airtel Money agency services. If you want to deposit KSh 3000 for example, hand it to them, give them your details (name, ID, phone number) and wait for a confirmation message from Airtel that 3000 Shillings has been deposited into your account.
- visit an Airtel agent shop in your area. Hand them the amount you want deposited in your account + your details and wait for a message from Airtel confirming that money has been deposited in your mobile wallet.
- send money to your Airtel Money account from your Safaricom M-PESA, Equitel line or bank account.
Checking your Airtel Money balance
To check how much money you have left in your Airtel Mobile money,
- access the menu by dialing *222# or via the SIM toolkit
- tap on My Account
- select Check Balance
- enter your PIN
- wait for SMS with your balance details
Have anything you’d like to add? Let me know in the comments section below. To read my other posts related to some of the items I have listed above, click the links below: