- 1 SSL – Adding an SSL certificate
- 2 Server management (dedicated / VPS)
- 3 cPanel help
- 4 Amazon AWS / S3 file storage
- 5 CMS switch – changing content management systems
- 6 FTP – Managing files via Filezilla and similar apps
- 7 File Manager
- 8 Site and server security
- 9 Moving sites / site migration / domain transfers
- 10 Website backup services
Ever thought about hiring a freelancer for your web hosting needs? Or even wondered what aspects of web hosting could be outsourced successfully to online freelancers?
In this article I am going to show you some of the tasks you can take off your plate – with the help of Kenyan freelancers on Niabusiness.
SSL – Adding an SSL certificate
To secure the connection between your users devices (feature phones, smartphones, tablets, laptops or desktop computers) and your website (blog), you can hire a freelancer on Niabusiness to do the following:
Note that Niabusiness has linked to some of the resources on this page using affiliate links. When you click on something and purchase it, Niabusiness will receive a commission from every successful sale / referral, at no extra cost to you.
- install an SSL certificate right before you launch your site, but just immediately after registering a domain name and purchasing a hosting plan.
- install a free SSL certificate (Let’s Encrypt / AutoSSL).
- upgrade from a free SSL certificate to a premium certificate you buy for at least one year.
- ensure all your URLs with http redirect to the https version, so your site doesn’t get in trouble for duplicate links.
Server management (dedicated / VPS)
If your site gets a lot of traffic and you have moved to a virtual private server or a dedicated server and are not comfortable managing the servers on your own, you can hire someone to help you with the management bit.
You may find such a service appealing especially if you are not paying for servers with management as an option (Managed Dedicated Servers, Managed WordPress Hosting etc.)
You can also hire somebody to help you change servers, from your current one, to another with more features.
Get a freelancer to help you with the different features available in your cPanel account.
Hire a freelancer to help you with file permissions, MySQL database, email, subdomains, add-on domains, script installations (using Softaculous or Quick Installer), subfolders and more.
Amazon AWS / S3 file storage
Hire someone to help you move all the media available to your site audience to Amazon Web Services to save on bandwidth and disk quota.
A freelancer able to help you with the above can also integrate your blog or website with services like KeyCDN, MaxCDN or Cloudflare so that you don’t end up paying a fortune on hosting each month.
CMS switch – changing content management systems
You can hire a freelancer on Niabusiness Classifieds to help you change the software you use to run your blog or website.
If you are not willing to do all the work yourself, outsourcing can still get you the results you desire.
Get someone to help you move from WordPress.com to WordPress self hosted.
Hire someone to help you move from Wix, Squarespace, Joomla or Drupal to WordPress.
If there is another CMS you have in mind, you can simply place an ad on Niabusiness sharing details about the tasks you want to accomplish.
FTP – Managing files via Filezilla and similar apps
You can hire a freelancer to help you manage your site via FTP.
Using Filezilla and similar software, a freelancer you hire can change file permissions, upload content to your site, download content from your site, edit code in your themes, plugins and extensions.
If an area of your site experiences an error, and you think making tweaks via FTP is the right way to go about fixing the problem but you just don’t have the time to do it all yourself, hire somebody on Niabusiness.
Again there is a lot freelancers that can help you with via the File Manager in your cPanel dashboard.
For example add or delete files, edit files and code (such A the htaccess file), disable and try to debug themes and plugins whenever your site experiences errors.
They can upload files to your site without going through your site’s CMS admin area
If you use affiliate links (and have them all organized in a folder in the public_html area) they can go in and add new ones, change old links or delete links that no longer work.
Site and server security
There are people good with tightening security of servers (especially if you are using dedicated servers).
Moving sites / site migration / domain transfers
If you are switching hosts and want to do it with minimal downtime, but just don’t know how to go about it, hire freelancers on the site to help you:
- backup your site before migration (keeping different copies of the site in separate locations)
- move files to your new hosting company (e.g. Sasahost, Truehost, Lenasi, Kenya Web Experts, Safaricom, Oracom, Garanntor, Bluehost, HostGator or Siteground)
- change nameservers
- test if everything is working the way it is supposed to.
If you want to change domain registrar’s, go from say IONOS / GoDaddy to Namesilo / Namecheap, there are people here on Niabusiness Classifieds that can help you with that as well.
Website backup services
It is really important to backup your blog or website on a regular basis. But most webmasters often forget about this critical aspect of managing a site.
If you often forget about making backups of your site, and are okay outsourcing such tasks to freelancers, check the listings on the site’s classifieds page to find contractors that can help you:
- take advantage of free backup services if you don’t want to pay your hosting company an additional fee every month to automatically backup your site’s files.
- backup your blog and website’s files to services such as Dropbox, Amazon AWS, Microsoft Azure or Google Drive.
- backup your site using the script installer in your cPanel account (such as Softaculous).
- create backup files of your website that you can store offline on your smartphone, flash drive, laptop or desktop computer.
- restore your backup files to your site in case you get hacked or someone / something infects your site’s files with malware.
If all you need is just someone to talk to about Linux shared hosting, VPS hosting, cloud hosting, WordPress hosting, Windows hosting, reseller hosting, e-commerce hosting, WooCommerce hosting, managed hosting, OpenCart hosting or dedicated servers, there are freelancers on the site ready to do consultations at reasonable fees. Check the listings here.