What happens if you are in a position where you can’t buy airtime for your Telkom line but still need to use their text, voice and data services? You use Telkom Kenya PEWA Advanced airtime service to borrow airtime – to repay later. PEWA is Telkom’s answer to:
Now before we get into details about how to borrow airtime from Telkom Kenya, I’d like to mention that:
- you can use the PEWA service to borrow airtime (and then use the amount you borrow to purchase any of the Telkom Kenya voice, data and text products and services).
- If you just want to use Telkom Kenya internet, you can use the PEWA Advanced service to borrow data bundles to use on your feature phone, smartphone, tablet, laptop or desktop computer.
Dial *133# on your Telkom Kenya line to borrow airtime
- 1 Dial *133# on your Telkom Kenya line to borrow airtime
- 2 Dial *100# to borrow airtime from Telkom Kenya PEWA airtime advance service
- 3 You can also access Pewa Data bundles via the *544# shortcode
- 4 How much does Telkom Kenya charge subscribers to borrow credit or data?
- 5 When to use Telkom PEWA service
- 6 How to repay airtime advanced to you via Telkom PEWA service
- 7 Do you qualify for Telkom Kenya PEWA Advanced airtime / data?
- 8 How to check Telkom PEWA airtime / data balance
The quickest way to get access to PEWA Advanced airtime or data bundles is by dialing *133# on your phone.
Note: This post contains affiliate links. When you click on something I recommend and purchase it, I will receive a commission for the sale – at no extra cost to you.
Follow the steps below to borrow airtime
- Dial *133#
- Select the Advanced Airtime PEWA amount.
- On my phone, there are currently two options: One, to borrow Kenya Shillings 20 and option two, to borrow KSh 50.
- Whichever options pops up on your phone, make sure you select the right one – depending on what service you want to use the credit advance on.
Follow the steps below to borrow data
- Dial *133#
- Select option 3: Pewa Data
- Select the data bundle advance you want.
- Again, on my phone I see two options: #1 is a Pewa 80 MB data bundle at KSh 20. Option #2 is a Pewa 400 MB data bundle at Kenya Shillings 50.
Dial *100# to borrow airtime from Telkom Kenya PEWA airtime advance service
To access the PEWA menu / service using the 100 shortcode, here’s what you need to do:
- Dial *100#
- Select option 2: Top-up
- Scroll down and select option 4: PEWA
- Then you can follow the steps mentioned in the previous section: either go with the option for airtime or data.
You can also access Pewa Data bundles via the *544# shortcode
- Dial *544#.
- Go to option 4: DATA Bundles.
- Select 1: 1 Day Bundles.
- Scroll to option 7: Pewa Data Bundles.
- Borrow the data bundle you want.
How much does Telkom Kenya charge subscribers to borrow credit or data?
- If you borrow Kenya Shillings 100 airtime, Telkom Kenya has a KSh 10 service fee. So, you end up with KSh 90 in your account.
- If you borrow KSh 50, there’s a service fee of KSh 5. That means when you borrow KSh 50 airtime, your account will be credited with 45 Shillings. So, don’t go with this option if your aim is to borrow airtime to buy the KSh 49 daily bundle (500 MB + 500 MB Night Data).
- If you borrow KSh 20 airtime, I think like Safaricom Okoa Jahazi, the service fee should only be KSh 2.
When to use Telkom PEWA service
- When you know you’re going to repay your debt on time.
- When you can’t easily access Telkom Kenya scratch cards from retail outlets near you – and have no money in your Safaricom M-PESA account.
- If you want to quickly lookup something online (by buying one of the small 1 day bundles) and recharge your line later (with enough money to purchase one of the big Telkom Kenya call / voice / text data plans).
How to repay airtime advanced to you via Telkom PEWA service
Top up your Telkom line with a scratch card with a similar denomination as the amount you borrowed – or higher.
So, if you borrowed KSh 100, just go to a shop near you, purchase a KSh 100 card and recharge your Telkom line.
Note also that you can top up your Telkom Kenya line via M-PESA, T-Kash, Equitel, or Pesapal online airtime service (via debit or credit card).
The key is to pay back the advance on time.
If you still want access to the Pewa advanced airtime service, note when repayment is due and top up your line before then.
Do you qualify for Telkom Kenya PEWA Advanced airtime / data?
Who can apply? Any person who meets the three conditions below.
- Your line should have been in use for at least 2 months. That is how long your line has to be active on the Telkom Kenya network for you to be able to borrow airtime / data using Pewa.
- The other condition is that you must have used at least KSh 50 in the last month.
- And thirdly, your account balance should not have more than KSh 20 airtime in it.
How to check Telkom PEWA airtime / data balance
Just dial *131# on your device to get both your airtime and data balance.
I wrote an article showing Telkom subscribers the different methods they can use to get their prepaid lines account balance. Read it here.