Learn about web hosting charges in Kenya. Read on to learn what 8 hosting companies charge their clients monthly or yearly.
Bitsimba is a domain registrar and web hosting company located in Kenya. Apart from providing hosting and domain registration services, it also offers web design, app development and SEO services.
Bitsimba domain registration charges
You can register a domain for your blog or website on Bitsimba.com.
Get a domain name with a .co.ke extension for 800 Shillings a year. .com domains go for KSh 1100 a year.
Bitsimba web hosting plans
The company offers three plans: Startup package, Standard package and Corporate package.
- Startup package: Costs 1500 per year. It comes with a 15 GB SSD space, bandwidth capacity of 1 TB and 1 free .co.ke domain.
- Standard package: Costs Kenya Shillings 5000 a year. It has 50 GB SSD space, 2 TB bandwidth and 1 free lifetime domain.
- Corporate package: Costs 10000 Shillings per year. It has 100 GB space, 5 TB bandwidth and 1 free lifetime domain.
All the 3 plans allow hosting of multiple websites on one account. On a Startup plan you can host 2 websites, on Standard 5 sites and up to 10 sites on the Corporate package.
The three plans also have the following features: free SSL certificates, cPanel, Softaculous script installer, 99.99% uptime guarantee, unlimited databases and subdomains, automatic backups, 24/7/365 support and more.
Learn more about Bitsimba.
Bluehost is a popular company, recommended by many online marketers. Some Kenyans, instead of using local web hosting companies, go with HostGator, SiteGround or Bluehost.
If you are a blogger, freelancer, online marketer or small business, find below some of the Bluehost plans you can purchase for your site.
Bluehost domain registration charges
A .com domain on Bluehost costs $11.99 per year. That is around 1210 Shillings. You can forego the extras such as the domain privacy protection and Codeguard by registering your .com on Namesilo and then adding your Bluehost nameservers to it. Namesilo provides free domain privacy protection.
Bluehost web hosting plans
Basic plan goes for $3.95 per month (around 400 Kenya Shillings). You can host only 1 site on it. The plan comes with 50 GB space, unlimited bandwidth and 100 MB email storage. You can only create 5 email addresses with your domain in them.
Then there are two other shared hosting plans, Plus and Prime. Each costs $5.95 per month (around KSh 600 per month). You can host unlimited number of sites on each one.
The disk space is unmetered and so is the bandwidth allocation. You can create unlimited email accounts on each plan. Prime and Plus don’t have the 100 MB email storage limit like the Basic plan.
Learn more about Bluehost.
Kenya Web Experts
Kenya Website Experts is one of the leading hosting companies in Kenya used by prominent politicians, businesses and institutions such as University of Nairobi. Learn more about how much they charge for domain registration and hosting below.
Kenya Web Experts domain registration charges
You can register .co.ke and .com domain names at only Kenya Shillings 1000. The company runs promotional offers from time to time, so depending on when you decide to register a domain name, you can get a .co.ke for KSh 580 (or KSh 499 as at the time this post is published).
Go directly to their homepage to see their current coupon codes. It is a good domain registrar. You can pay for domains via Lipa na M-PESA and immediately start working on your site.
Kenya Web Experts hosting plans
The company offers reliable Linux and Windows web hosting services starting at only KSh 2,100 per year for the Starter plan. I’ve purchased and used their hosting plans before and the service is good.
- Starter: For 2100 Shillings you get 30 GB disk space and 300 GB bandwidth.
- Standard: For 4100 Shillings you get 40 GB disk space and 400 GB bandwidth.
- Bronze: For 7100 Shillings you get 50 GB disk space and 500 GB bandwidth.
- Gold: Comes with unlimited disk space and bandwidth at a cost of 14100 a year.
You can create unlimited email accounts and subdomains. Bronze and Gold plans also come with free SSL certificates.
Each plan also comes with cPanel, Softaculous and a 99.9% uptime guarantee.
Learn more about Kenya Web Experts.
Bana Hosting is another reliable shared hosting company you can use for your domain registration and web hosting needs. It is cheap and your site is always online. Like Bluehost or HostGator you can pay monthly or yearly.
Bana hosting domain registration charges
You can register a .com domain for $10.95 on Bana. That is around 1105 Shillings per year.
Bana hosting plans
- Bana-Starter Deluxe: You can host only 1 site on it, though the plan comes with unlimited bandwidth and disk space. You also get free SSL for your domain name. It costs $4.95 per month (KSh 500).
- Bana-Professional Deluxe: For $6.95 (KSh 702) per month host multiple sites on one account. You also get unlimited bandwidth and unlimited SSD disk space. I use this plan to run some of my sites. The service is reliable and I opted to pay for the plan month-to-month.
- Bana-Corporate Deluxe: This plan is similar to Bana-Professional Deluxe plan, but you get more memory and a faster CPU. It goes for $9.95 per month (KSh 1005).
All Bana hosting plans come with the following: Free Let’s Encrypt SSL, 99.9% uptime guarantee, 30 day money back guarantee, cPanel, Softaculous installer and data backups.
Learn more about Bana Hosting.
HostGator is another hosting company popular among Kenyans: bloggers, freelancers and businesses. Learn more about it below.
HostGator domain registration charges
You can register a .com domain for just $12.92/year on HostGator. That is around 1304 Shillings a year.
Or get one from Namesilo.
HostGator web hosting plans
- Hatchling: You can use this plan for one site only. It has cPanel and you can install scripts using QuickInstall. The bandwidth is unmetered. This plan costs $10.95 if you choose to pay monthly or $71.4 per year. That is KSh 7205 per year.
- Baby: The most popular shared hosting plan amongst those planning on running more than one site, this plan goes for $11.95 per month or $107.4 per year (KSh 10838 per year). It has the same features as the Hatchling plan but it allows unlimited add-on domains.
- Business: costs $16.95 per month or $107.4 a year. You get similar features offered to Baby plan buyers. On top of that you get the following free: positive SSL and a dedicated IP.
All plans have cPanel, a script installer and 45 day money back guarantee.
Learn more about HostGator.
Sasahost is another Kenyan hosting company you can use to start your website or blog.
Sasahost domain registration charges
You can register a .com domain for 1000 Shillings a year.
.co.ke domains also cost 1000 Shillings per year.
Sasahost hosting plans
- Premium CMS Hosting I: With this plan you get 40 GB disk space and 200 GB monthly bandwidth and 30GB managed remote backup. This plan costs KSh 6000 a year.
- Premium CMS Hosting II: With this plan you get 50 GB disk space and 300 GB monthly bandwidth and 40GB managed remote backup. This plan costs KSh 9000 a year.
- Premium CMS Hosting III: With this plan you get 80 GB disk space and 400 GB monthly bandwidth and 60GB managed remote backup. This plan costs KSh 12000 a year.
- Premium CMS Hosting V: With this plan you get 100 GB disk space and 600 GB monthly bandwidth and 120GB managed remote backup. This plan costs KSh 18000 a year.
Note that Sasahost charges extra (16% VAT) on all their plans.
All the plans allow the creation of unlimited email accounts. Sasahost offers DDoS protection and cPanel on all the accounts. All accounts have premium SMTP relay for spam email filtering.
Learn more about Sasahost.
Safaricom also offers web hosting and domain registration services in Kenya. You can use them to start your website or blog.
Their two cheapest plans, Lite and Bronze, only have 50 MB and 500 MB disk space respectively – which is good for a static site you upload yourself. To run one of the popular scripts like WordPress or Joomla, go for the following plans: Silver, Gold and Premium.
- Silver: Gets you 2 GB disk space at a cost of KSh 3800 (if you are using a .co.ke domain) or KSh 3499 (if you are using a .com domain). The plan allows the creation of 5 subdomains and 50 email accounts.
- Gold: Gets you 10 GB disk space at a cost of KSh 5300 (if you are using a .co.ke domain) or KSh 4999 (if you are using a .com domain). The plan allows the creation of 100 subdomains and 100 email accounts.
- Premium: Gets you 20 GB disk space at a cost of KSh 6300 (if you are using a .co.ke domain) or KSh 5999 (if you are using a .com domain). The plan allows the creation of 200 subdomains and 200 email accounts.
Learn more about Safaricom.
If you’d like to host your blog or website with Niabusiness instead, the Starter plan goes for KSh 6000. The price is inclusive of domain registration costs. With that amount I can build you a blog or website on WordPress.
Here is a breakdown of the costs for each plan.
Cost per month
Cost per day
KSh 16,000 a year
7.5 GB disk space
Less than KSh 1334
Less than KSh 44
KSh 11,000 a year
5 GB disk space
Less than KSh 917 a month!
Less than KSh 31 a day!
KSh 6,000 a year
2.5 GB disk space
Less than KSh 501
Less than KSh 17
Learn more about Niabusiness Hosting.
Why is the cost of web hosting in Kenya different from host to host
- Company pricing. Different companies charge different amounts of money depending on the quality of service they provide or how much profit they want to make from each hosting plan their clients buy.
- Server type and space allocation. Shared hosting plans often cost way less compared to VPS and dedicated servers. Hosting companies charge less for shared hosting since more client sites are added to one server. Someone who pays for a dedicated server pays more because the whole server is often allocated to them. Clients who own high traffic sites often go for VPS, dedicated server or other type of enterprise-grade hosting solutions like the ones offered by Amazon or InMotion Hosting. Most shared hosting plans (from Bluehost or HostGator) can handle sites receiving between 40,000 to 100,000 unique visitors per month.
- Speed and reliability. The more reliable / faster a hosting plan is the higher the costs a company is likely to charge. This is the case with managed hosting and dedicated hosting plans. That is why managed hosting providers like WPEngine, Kinsta Hosting and WebSynthesis charge more to host a WordPress site compared to what a shared hosting user would typically be charged monthly by HostGator or Bluehost. So pricing will differ depending on how fast the servers a hosting company offers are.
- Additional services bundled with hosting plans. Companies with more features added to their plans charge more for their services. The features include dedicated IP, RAM capacity, backup services, premium SSL certificates, staging area to test new themes/plugins/site features, dedicated support and more.
Summary of web hosting prices in Kenya
If your site doesn’t receive much traffic (less than 100,000 unique visitors per month), you can pay for a shared hosting plan. It will work well for you. When you start receiving a lot of traffic, you can upgrade then.
- HostGator. KSh 7205 per year (for Hatchling plan) to KSh 10838/year (for Baby plan). Or pay monthly.
- Kenya Web Experts. KSh 2100/year (Starter) to KSh 7100 per year (Bronze).
- Sasahost. KSh 6000/year (Premium CMS Hosting I) to KSh 12000/year (Premium CMS Hosting III).
- Bitsimba. KSh 1500/year (Startup) to KSh 10000/year (Corporate).
- Bana. KSh 6000/year (Starter) to KSh 12060/year (Corporate).
- Bluehost. KSh 4800/year (Basic) to KSh 7200/year (Plus).
- Safaricom. KSh 3800/year (Silver) to KSh 6300/year (Premium).
- Niabusiness Hosting. KSh 6000/year (Starter) to KSh 11000 (Mediate).
Cheapest domain registration in Kenya
For .co.ke domains, go with Kenya Web Experts. Costs 1000 per year or KSh 580 when they have special offers. Currently goes for KSh 499/year.
For .com domains, go with Namesilo. Costs around 900 a year. Costs KSh 650 to KSh 750 when they run promotional offers – or when you register your first domain name with them.
To start your website/blog (register a domain name/buy hosting), these are some of the companies you can use. Review what they offer then pay for a plan and start building your site.
The Kenyan companies listed in this post accept payments via M-PESA and PayPal.
For the rest, use a debit/card to pay for their services. Get the free KCB Pepea card, load it with M-PESA and use it to purchase hosting from any of the non-Kenyan companies.
Learn how to start a website in Kenya using WordPress. Register a domain name with Niabusiness Hosting and get web hosting. This guide will show you some of the most important steps you should take when creating a website.
This guide works for any host that uses cPanel and a script installer like Softaculous. So go through it, see what you can learn.
Check some of the WordPress plugins I recommend installing on your site.
For lead generation, check some of the email marketing providers and plugins I have recommended.
To increase your website’s visibility on search engines, follow the steps below to verify your site with Google and Bing.
Should you start a website in the first place?
Yes, you should.
But only if you are already familiar with how a website can benefit a person. Why do people start websites? Why do businesses spend some of the money they allocate to marketing to start websites?
Once you can answer these questions then and only then should you consider starting a website for yourself, your business or organization.
Signs you shouldn’t start a website just yet
- You are busy with other things in life. If you don’t have much time left in your day after you’ve come home from your job, now may not be a good time to start a site. Wait until you have time to dedicate to creating content.
- You don’t have a clear strategy on how to promote your website / content.
- You are not clear about what it is you want to do with your site. Maybe you are just excited about owning a site of your own. But remember starting a site is not just about having money to pay for domain registration and hosting. There is more involved. You’ll need good content then figure out a way to get the right people (your site’s target audience) to see it.
- You can’t create content for the site due to time limitations. For your site to rank – to be of value to visitors – you are going to need some great resources on your site – even if that means having a site with a few pages and one detailed FAQs page answering customer / client questions in detail.
Starting a website using WordPress – the step by step process
Get a domain name
A .co.ke or .com extension always works in most cases.
If you have thought about a name for your site, use the contact form here, to let me know about the name and extension you intend to use.
You can suggest up to five names.
I’ll look them up and see which ones are available for registration.
If you prefer to go through the domain registration process yourself, Kenya Web Experts is a great company for .co.ke domains. For .com domains, use Namesilo.
Change your domain nameservers
If you register your domain elsewhere but intend to use Niabusiness Hosting, get in touch with me so I can email you the nameservers to point your domain to.
Pay for web hosting
Pay for any of the Niabusiness Hosting plans listed here.
You can learn more about them here. Find out how much each plan costs (per day, week, month or for the entire year).
For a plan that will last you the whole of this year, you can go with the Starter plan.
Login to cPanel and navigate to the script installation area.
In Softaculous tab, click Install WordPress. Select your domain name and finish the installation process.
For this installation, I’m changing My Blog and My WordPress Blog to HireWPWriter.com and Hire a WordPress Writer respectively.
Choose a username and password for your site.
You’ll use these to login to the WordPress backend to manage/make changes to your site.
If you want the installation details sent to you, enter your email address then click Install.
Login to WordPress admin area
…by clicking the link with /wp-admin.
Or go directly to your address bar, type up your domain name, add the wp-admin part, enter your username and password and then click Login to access the WordPress admin area.
Now that you are logged in, it is time to make some changes to the fresh installation such as:
- How your site looks like. Change your theme from the default theme that comes pre-installed. Use the search function to look for a theme that you like.
- The functions your site is able to perform. Do this by installing and activating various plugins in the Plugins section.
Change the look of your new website. Go to Appearance > Themes. Click Add New.
In the Search Themes field enter a keyword that best describes the look you want for your site.
Being an online business, I’ve searched for themes tagged business.
Out of the many themes suggested I’ve chosen Business Prime.
That is the theme I’m going to use on HireWPWriter.
Note: Make sure you Preview a theme before you install it. To do this, Hover over any theme and click the Details & Preview button.
Click Install once you find the right theme > then click Activate.
Delete the default WordPress themes or leave them be.
Click on Widgets to remove certain widgets from your sidebars.
Remove the following: Meta and Recent Comments. Or any number of widgets.
To add new ones, just drag them from the list on the left to the sidebar area.
Next, go to Settings > Permalinks.
Change it to post name from the default Day and Name. Then click Save Changes.
Click on Settings > General.
Change your site’s timezone. If you want to modify the site name and description, you can do this here.
Click Save Changes.
I’ve changed HireWPwriter’s to Nairobi.
If you already have content for your homepage, it is time to upload it to the website.
Since this is a WordPress-powered website, we’ll use the Static Home feature (in Settings > Reading) instead of showing a list of posts on the homepage.
To do this, go to Add New Page.
Add the content in the text editor and click Publish.
Once you’ve clicked Publish, let’s make the page what anyone sees when they land on your homepage.
Go to Settings > Reading and select the page title under the show static home section.
Now we have a site with a static homepage.
WordPress plugins to add / install to your website
Add the following plugins via the Plugins section to further enhance your website. Below is an example of how to add new plugins to WordPress.
- For SEO: SEO by Yoast or All in One SEO Pack.
- To add analytics and search console code you can use any of the two plugins I’ve mentioned. But I prefer All in One Webmaster. Install it.
- For tracking how your site performs (the number of pageviews, daily unique visitor count) install Jetpack. The Site Stats feature is free. To activate it, you’ll need a free WordPress.com account.
- To add social sharing buttons to your pages and posts, still Jetpack has a feature for it.
- To add tags to pages and posts use Simple Tags plugin.
- To add Facebook pixel code to your site, use the Tracking Code plugin by IntellyWP.
- Add WP Optimize to regularly to optimize and trim your database size.
- To add nofollow links to your outbound links by default install the WP External Links plugin.
- Add Pretty Links plugin to create shorter links (linking to your site’s pages/posts or resources on other sites).
- Use the free Contact Form 7 plugin to add a contact us page on your website.
- To add a shop to your website install WooCommerce or Easy Digital Downloads plugin. I prefer WooCommerce.
- To tighten the site’s security install iThemes Security or WordFence. I prefer the iThemes plugin.
- To speed WordPress a bit, use free caching plugins like WordPress Total Cache (W3TC).
Once you have configured your site’s theme and plugins, start publishing content.
- About page. Write a brief description of who you are / what you do / why your business is in existence. Type this up in MS-Word then copy and paste it in the Add New page section and click Publish.
- Contact page. In this page people coming to your site can leave you an email. All they have to do is add their name, a subject line, email and the message they want to send you. Use the shortcode from Contact Form 7 to add the form in this page.
- To add any other page to your site, just go to Pages > Add New. To add a blog section to your website for example, create a page titled Blog. Don’t add anything in the text area. Click Publish. Then go to Settings > Reading and select this page as the place where your posts will be shown.
Click save changes.
You can also change how many posts are displayed on this page (Blog) from the default 10 to any number of posts.
How to verify your website with Google and Bing search
To make it easier for search engine bots to crawl your website, it is a good idea to verify your site with Google Search Console and Bing Webmaster.
We’ll add the verification code from Google to the site via the All in One SEO Pack or All in One Webmaster settings page.
So make sure you have one or both plugins installed and activated. I’m using All in One Webmaster to verify HireWPWriter website.
Go to Google Search Console area. Click the Search Console button. Sign in with your Gmail account.
Click Add Property.
Enter your website’s address and click Add.
Choose how you want to verify your site.
Under the Alternate Methods tab select the HTML tag radio button.
Copy the code displayed and paste it in the All in One Webmaster > Webmaster options settings area.
Press Enter after pasting the code.
Go back to the Google Search Console tab and click the Verify button to complete the verification process.
Submit a sitemap for your website to Google and Bing
Once the site is verified successfully, click Continue to submit a sitemap for the website.
At this point I’m assuming you have either Yoast SEO or All in One SEO Pack plugin installed and activated.
Scroll down and click Sitemaps.
Click the Add/Test sitemap button.
Enter sitemap.xml and click Submit.
Follow a similar process for Bing.
Use your Hotmail or Outlook email to login to Bing Webmaster.
Copy the code and paste it in All in One Webmaster (in the Bing Webmaster field) to verify your website with the search engine.
Verifying your website with these two search engines will help you get found by their users.
Even if you don’t verify your website with Bing, make sure you add it to Google Search Console.
Cost of starting a website in Kenya
Here are some of the costs involved in starting a website in Kenya.
The bare minimum you need is money for a domain and hosting.
A .co.ke domain goes for Kenya Shillings 580, if you register it with Kenya Web Experts. The normal cost for new .co.ke domains is KSh 1000 but they have a coupon that gets you a domain for 580 Shillings.
For .com domains, get one on Namesilo for around Kenya Shillings 750 then change the nameservers. Point them to Niabusiness.
For hosting, the Starter plan by Niabusiness costs Kenya Shillings 6,000 for a whole year. Note that the amount includes the cost for domain registration as well.
So, starting a content website costs around KSh 6,000 with Niabusiness. Some hosting companies in Kenya charge as little as 3,100 a year to start a website.
It is up to you which hosting company you choose to work with.
See why Niabusiness charges 6000 minimum here.
While planning the launch of your site, factor in content costs as well.
Write the content for your website yourself. Or ask your staff to help.
If you have a content budget then hire a writer to help you create pages and posts for your website.
Things you don’t have to focus on now
Worry about these later if you are pressed for time.
- Professional logo for your website. Create one on Canva or hire a designer on sites such as UpWork to design one for you.
- Premium look for your website. Use a free WordPress theme for now. In WordPress admin area, go to Appearance > Themes > Add New to search for free themes. Later on, hire a web designer or buy a paid theme from sites such as StudioPress, Elegant Themes, Thrive Themes, ThemeIsle, Themify or Mojo Marketplace.
- Premium plugins to add extra functionality to your site. Buy plugins from Thrive (Thrive Leads, Architect), Gravity Forms, WP Rocket or any other plugin you find on CodeCanyon that can get you the extra site features you want.
Once your website is up and running, what should you do next
- keep improving the existing content. Edit it. Add more details. Research and add stats. Address questions your site visitors are likely to ask you concerning your products and services.
- publish new content. Add new pages. Add new blog posts. Give the search engines more pages to index – get ranked for more keywords.
- improve conversions. Add clear call to action buttons on your site. Buy and use Thrive plugins. Use lead generation software like MailMunch, Thrive Leads, Sumo, Bloom or OptinMonster. Connect them to any of the popular email marketing software like MailChimp or AWeber.
What matters most for website owners – where should you exert the most effort?
- your site’s purpose. What do you want to achieve with your site.
- traffic. How are you going to reach the right people? Publish more content. Pay for ads. Guest post for other sites to gain links that improve your site’s rankings.
- conversions. How do you ensure the people who come to your website do what you want them to do? Do you want them to buy online, check your product documentation, call you or email you to enquire about your organization/company/product or service?
Have any questions related to how to start a website in Kenya? Add them in the comments section below.
If you want to use Niabusiness as your domain registrar / web hosting company, get in touch with me. Ask me any question.
If you want to start a website or blog in Kenya, and are reading this article, you are now at the point where you are looking to go one step further with your plans to setup your site.
You are also wondering which CMS – Content Management System – you should use to power your site – or if using WordPress as a CMS is a better option for your soon to be launched website – or an existing site you want to make changes to.
Meaning you have a lot of questions – considering there are many hosting companies that make it easy for their clients to install WordPress on their domains, subdomains or subfolders – usually with auto script installers like Softaculous, Quick Install or Fantastico Deluxe.
Should you use WordPress to start your website / blog in Kenya
Yes. WordPress is simple, powerful and extendable – and widely used by persons running small, medium and big websites – some getting a couple dozen visitors a day while others getting hundreds of thousands to millions of visitors per day.
WordPress – the self-hosted version – offers a lot of functionality for individuals, businesses, schools, churches, writers, bloggers, authors and churches that want to start their own websites – with static home pages or blogs – where recent articles posted on the site can be shown organized in a chronological order mostly in the home page but sometimes also in a dedicated page in a website with a title like ‘Blog’ that is displayed in the main navigation of the website for easy access by visitors.
WordPress, which is free by the way and only requires you to register a domain name and pay for hosting package – where your site’s files are stored, works well with hosting companies that have Linux servers, support PHP and MySQL databases – which most do.
Meaning getting started with it is easy.
More and more people are using it.
Compared to other content management systems like Joomla and Drupal it’s getting widely adopted. And if you are unhappy with a hosting company you are using, you can easily move your WordPress powered site to another hosting company.
WordPress is easy to install and setup.
You can also add more functionality to your site using any number of free and premium plugins and themes that are available for quick install.
It is easy to create pages and posts on WordPress. You can customize your site’s design, add images, add audio files, embed videos and do a lot more.
Also if you are busy with other things and don’t want to spend a lot of time working on your site, you can just create content, upload it to your site and schedule it to publish on a date and time you specify.
As a business owner, you can also add online shopping functionality to your site for example using WooCommerce, enable the use of testimonials, sell digital and physical products on your site, add tables of content, get feedback from your readers / customers and even make your site as good looking as you want.
What do the best WordPress web hosting companies in Kenya offer
Most hosting companies offer different hosting packages suited to the needs of various site owners depending on the number of visitors their sites get every day / month.
Apart from this they provide a secure environment for storing your site’s files – in servers that enable good functioning of the WordPress script that powers your website / blog.
They also offer support and guidance from the initial stage when you set out to build your site – and all along as your site grows.
They will help sort site errors, send you email updates with recent tips to ensure your site is secure from hackers, help you manage various aspects of your site via your cPanel admin area and also offer tips to grow your site and draw more of the right people to it from social networks, offline and search engines.
Most hosts in Kenya are also reachable via their website (through support tickets and contact us pages), phone numbers, live chat and email addresses.
Meaning they are fine with a little hand holding whenever there is something you need to change or add to your site.
They also are able to advice on various things concerning WordPress: like plugins, themes and a few coding tweaks you may need.
What to look for when choosing a WordPress host in Kenya
Choose a hosting company or business that understands what it is you want to achieve with your site.
Choose a host that will offer the support you need to ensure your site is available on the internet, functioning as you intended.
Of course a hosting company, even the best ones, won’t do everything for you. You also have to play your part.
There are some mundane tasks – like ensuring your plugins and themes are up to date – that most companies won’t and don’t do – given the huge number of clients they have.
Of course these are tasks that require a click here a click there and they are done.
Same applies to the content published on your site. If you want more quality pages and article published to your new blog or website to increase your search engine rankings, organic traffic and leads, you have to create it yourself or with your staff or business partner or simply hire a freelance writer to create the content for you.
The cost of WordPress web hosting in Kenya
The cost depends on the domain name extension you choose (learn more here), the hosting package you pay for and whether you factor in other costs like premium themes and plugins you buy, a content writer you hire, advertising you pay to promote your website (using Google Adwords or Facebook ads, for example) or a website designer you commission to design your website or blog.
Most people are good to go with just registering a domain name, paying for web hosting, installing WordPress (WP), publishing content on the site and promoting their site.
The cost to register a .com or .co.ke domain is 1,000 Kenyan Shillings or less. The cost for most starter hosting ranges from 1,000 Kenyan Shillings to even 15,000 Kenyan Shillings a year depending on whom you are hosting with.
Some cheapest web hosting plans in Kenya go for as little as Kenya Shillings 600 a year.
These cheaper plans (suited for beginner sites with little traffic) often have fewer resources allocated to them; which means that the more your site traffic grows the more you’ll have no option but to upgrade to bigger hosting plan that offer more disk quota and bandwidth. Which cost more.
It should be noted though that there is more that goes into building a site. The cost is not only in terms of money.
Websites and blogs need time to grow. So, you should look at that as well. Check these hosting questions and answers to learn more. They’ll help you weigh if you are ready to commit to starting and growing your website or blog.
Why host your WordPress blog / website with Niabusiness.com Hosting Kenya
Niabusiness.com helps with domain registration, web hosting, WordPress installation, theme and plugin installation and setup among other things (listed here, here and here) to help you quickly get started and have your site available on the internet ready for readers, leads and customers.
The WordPress questions and problems you may have, Niabusiness Hosting helps you solve. This ensures that you have more time on your hands to focus on your business or other activities. You get support managing your site since Niabusiness.com is well versed in WordPress sites.
With your free time you can create more quality content to be published on your site. You won’t have to learn everything WordPress when you are stuck – because Niabusiness.com will be there. Meaning fewer distractions from your work and other pursuits outside work.
Niabusiness.com installs WordPress and sets up everything for you. Niabusiness.com, when launching your blog or website, even adds the content you have – text and images and creates social media profiles, verifies your site with search engines and creates emails with your domain name in them e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org. Learn more here.
Your next step in building your website
If you’ve checked some of the articles linked to above, especially this one, this and this last one, get in touch with Niabusiness.com via the contact form here to get your WordPress website / blog started.
For any questions, use the comments section below to ask.
And if you want to start your own website or blog, but wondering how to go about choosing the right hosting provider no matter if they call themselves top or best, read on.
Here are a few things you should consider:
1. What do you need when it comes to paying for a hosting package, domain name and design
It is always a good idea to know what you want. How much money are you willing to pay for web design and web hosting? Do you want to register a domain name with a .co.ke, .com, .net, .ac.ke, .me, or .or.ke extension? What features do you want on your website or blog? Where do you see your site one year from now?
Being clear about what you need helps you make the right decisions when you go comparing prices, packages and services offered by various web hosting companies in Kenya.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions. You can always send the various companies e-mails and get replies in less than twenty four hours. It might also be a good idea to visit their ‘frequently asked questions’ sections of their websites.
If you prefer making phone calls, don’t hesitate. Get the numbers from their website and let them help you make the right decisions right from the start.
A site can cost as little as one thousand Kenyan shillings or as much as several thousands of shillings or even more. I believe you won’t be going for a really expensive site though. You’ll probably start from down somewhere and upgrade, later, to a package that costs a few thousands more depending on your hosting, functionality, security and design needs.
Don’t pay too little for a slow server if you can manage to pay more for a more efficient, reliable and fast server provided by a reliable host.
2. A look at a hosting company’s testimonials page
Yep, you have to go a step further to check the different persons a company is doing business with. Do you want to be under the same wings with some of the clients? Does the page (and the testimonials in it) sound genuine?
Visit the various sites managed by the various hosts and see if that can help you in making the right decisions regarding your own domain and hosting needs.
3. How much support you will need from the hosting company you pay your money to
There are people who are able to build their sites from scratch. You might be one of them. Unfortunately, not everyone is able to maintain and manage their sites. Some are ready to learn new things to help them become better webmasters but some don’t have the time or passion to learn these things.
If you’ll be the person who’ll be e-mailing their web host even when a little error occurs on your site, be ready to have the courage to be careful when clicking buttons and links on your cPanel (control panel) and your site’s Content Management System dashboard.
Be ready to pay more if you’ll need more support and start researching and learning more about websites because this will help you someday when you are stuck.
If you want someone to help you manage your site apart from your hosting company, get someone you can trust, pay them but don’t let them fill their pockets with money they don’t deserve. When you (suppose you host your blog or website with us) need help with your blog or website, you can get in touch with us any time for assistance. Click here to see what our hosting clients get.
4. How much effort are you willing to put on your blog or website to make it a success?
Thousands of persons register new sites every hour…and you’ll be joining them soon. But what will you do after that? Will you just let your site collect dust and scare away people a few months down the road? Will you be the person who’ll be messing their site every two weeks?
Will you get tired when the excitement of owning a new blog or website suddenly fades?
Most people never realize the huge responsibilities that come with owning a website. So be prepared. Start working on your site even before it is registered by writing a blog mission, creating enough content and learning different ways to make it a success.
Don’t be swayed with the make money online content. Know what you want and don’t let the make money articles lock you away from your long term goals and beliefs. There is a lot of competition out there and it is better if you start thinking about ways to become an effective blogger even before you pay for a new site.
5. Think about what your website will do (and the best platform to make your work much easier)
There are several scripts to power sites. There are content management systems like WordPress, Joomla, Drupal among others. There are scripts to help you do almost anything, from building an online shop, a forum, an auction site etc.
Get the one that works best for you. You might want to check: Why I chose WordPress to power my blog in this ebook. Also remember to seek your host’s recommendations.
6. Are you prepared for the arrival of the new site
Will you be ready to do what you planned to do when the site is finally registered or will you just start procrastinating? Will you be able to stop your new site from piling more pressure on you? What will you do when you start sleeping fewer hours?
7. What kind of people you want to attract to your website or blog?
Are you selling something and want a particular group to listen to what you have to say? Have you researched more about that market? If yes, go and research some more. If no, it is time you did some research.
If you want someone to help you start a blog or website powered by the popular WordPress script we are here for you. Click here to get started (read more about you get as a client before you commit any of your money).
If you have any questions, post them in the comments below and I’ll get back to you shortly with an answer.
If you are looking for the top or best web hosting company in Kenya, you’ll probably have some questions in mind before you settle on one, among the many, buy hosting and register a new domain name for your blog or website.
Niabusiness Hosting tries its best to answer the questions you may have before and after you get a hosting package of your choice.
But we are also privileged to have two web hosting companies here in Kenya, share answers to some questions that you may need some clarifications on.
1. What are some of your most sought after products or services?
Kenya Web Hosting: Our 100MB Starter Package is the most frequently chosen package, with monthly payments available.
Deep Africa: We offer a free .com, .net, .info, .biz, .us for. The package comes with unlimited space, bandwidth, email accounts.
2. What are some of the tips you could give to your clients to get the best value from your products and services?
Kenya Web Hosting: Spend some time reading about search engine optimisation and implement an SEO strategy. There are many myths about SEO but progress can be made by the individual with little or no previous knowledge.
Deep Africa: Being friendly and building relationships with your customer, makes a world of difference when it comes to securing recurring business and getting them to tell their friends about you.
3. Why should one register a website (blog) and host it with you? What is your unique selling proposition?
Kenya Web Hosting: Kenya Web Hosting is not a flash in the pan hosting company. We have been established in Kenya for 6 years and have a good track record with a number of high profile clients. We have mostly relied on word of mouth to grow as we offer excellent customer service and support turnaround.
Deep Africa: Having a diversified offline mix, in that we do advertisement on newspapers, online marketing.
4. What are some of the fears of your potential clients and what can you tell them to dispel such fears?
Kenya Web Hosting: The press makes a big thing about internet security and do not always offer a balanced point of view. Most of the cases of fraud that they report is not ‘hacking’ but ‘phishing’ whereby users GIVE AWAY their details.
I can assure users that, as long as they do not provide their details to unknown parties, and that they double check the origin of emails etc, they will be safe. KenyaWebhosting creates a backup of each client’s website once a week so if anything goes wrong when, for instance creating edits, we can roll back to the previous version.
Deep Africa: They do not want their websites to be down. This interferes with their business and to overcome this we have to make sure that our servers are up 24/7.
5. Any other thing you might want to bring to the attention of people looking for the best domain registration, web design and web hosting services?
Kenya Web Hosting: We strongly recommend that people do not get fooled by ‘unlimited’ package offers. ‘Unlimited’ packages invariably have a clause that says they are not in fact unlimited under certain conditions. For instance, why not get an ‘unlimited’ package and then simply create a YouTube clone.
The reason is obvious, a successful You Tube clone would soon take huge resources to maintain and the promise of ‘unlimited’ would soon break down. It is a dishonest marketing ploy that Kenya Webhosting refuses to follow.
For webdesign and other freelance coding we recommend KenyaFreelance as an upcoming website that has many freelancers registered already, waiting to make offers to clients.
Deep Africa: deepAfrica is a hosting company that allows individuals and organizations to make their website accessible via the World Wide Web. We offer the best service solution at an affordable price.
All these companies have been operating for some time now. They accept payments via mobile money (Lipa na M-PESA, Airtel Money, Orange Money, Yu Cash), Western Union, PayPal etc.
Domain and web hosting prices differ from host to host, but one can easily start a site with as little as two thousand Kenyan shillings and pay more later for hosting, more disk space or bandwidth. You also get the chance to easily manage your site using cPanel.
Remember also that the amount you pay for hosting may differ from host to host depending on how much support you need to start and build a successful website or blog. For example, here at Niabusiness.com, we may charge more but there are also lots of things you get when you pay that much.
So, get your site with us or any of the hosting companies operating in Kenya and start working on it. Make sure, first, to know your needs, for you will be in a better position to build a successful blog or website when you find a host that understands you – one that is ready to help you achieve the goals you have in mind.
Make sure, first, to know your needs, for you will be in a better position to build a successful blog or website when you find a host that understands you – one that is ready to help you achieve the goals you have in mind.
Have any questions, personal experiences or views you’d like to share? Share them in the comments section below.
Kenya Web Experts is one of the popular and best web hosting companies in Kenya for individuals who want to start small (or big) blogs to businesses and institutions that want to build big websites with a reputable hosting company.
Their up-time is good (and your website will be online and working well), making it easy for readers, clients, customers, prospects and users with access to the internet to easily reach and connect with you on your blog or website.
Before we go deep in the review, here is a short summary of the hosting services offered by KenyaWebExperts.com in 2019
- Shared hosting plans
- VPS servers
- Dedicated servers
- Windows ASP.NET hosting packages
- Domain registration
- Website design
- SSL certificates, and
- Reseller services (hosting and domain names)
Now let’s review each of the services offered by the Kenyan hosting company.
Domain registration extensions (tlds) offered by Kenya Web Experts, costs and clients targeted in various countries
The hosting provider offers domain registration at cheap and affordable prices payable online via mobile money services like Lipa na M-PESA and gateways like PayPal.check their website for all their products and services]
The common domain extensions like .com, .net, .biz, .org, .co.ke, .or.ke, .sc.ke, and .ac.ke are usually sold at Kenya Shillings 1000 – and sometimes less. At the moment – early November 2016 / 2017 – heading to Christmas and end of year holidays (then 2017 / 2018 / 2019!), Kenya Web Experts have already reduced the pricing for the popular and common domain extensions to 890 Kenyan shillings (from KSh 1000).
So, this is probably a good time to get a great discount when registering a new domain name for your website or blog. Get them cheap before their prices go up – usually in mid to late January or February 2017 / 2018 / 2019.
To renew your domain name, also expect to pay between the KSh 890 to 1000 depending on the current domain and hosting promotions they are running on their website.
Here are the extensions they offer for people registering new domains (and how much they cost):
.com, co.ke, .org, .net, .o.ke, .ac.ke, .ne.ke, .sc.ke, .go.ke, .mobi.ke, .info.ke, .me.ke, .info, and .biz usually cost KES 1,000 but are currently available for KSh 890 only!
Other extensions include .me (at KSh 2,400), .co (KSh 2,500), .co.za targeting individuals and businesses living or operating in South Africa at Ksh 2,000, .mobi (KSh 2000), .us targeting persons in United Sates of America at KSh 1000, .cc (KSh 1,800), .tv (KSh 3000), .de targeting persons in Germany (KSh 1000), .me.uk (KSh 1,500 x 2), .org.uk (KSh 2,000 x 2), .co.uk for persons in or targeting the United Kingdom market (KSh 1,500), .uk.net (KSh 5,000 x 2), .in (at KSh 1000), .es (KSh 1900), .co.ug targeting persons in Uganda (KSh 3500), .it (KSh 2500), .co.tz (KSh 1700), .so (KSh 8500), .co.rw targeting persons in Rwanda (KSh 5000), .ca (Canada: KSh 1500), .ug (Uganda: KES 3,500) and .nl (KSh 1000).
Other domain name extensions include:
.limited, .events, .properties, .academy and .foundation each going for 2,700 Kenyan Shillings. Other extensions that cost KSh 1,900 include: .education, .institute, .company, .photography, .tips, .solutions, .website, .directory, .international and .email.
Other extensions you can use when registering your domain name with Kenya Web Experts include: .church (KSh 3,500), .club (KSh 1500), .media (KSh 2900), .services (KSh 2500), .university (KSh 4000), .consulting (KSh 2,500), .restaurant (KSh 4000), .engineering (KSh 4000), .ac (KSh 9500), .business (KSh 2500), .industries (KSh 3500), .clinic (KSh 5000), .enterprises (KSh 3500), .farm (KSh 3500), .guru (KSh 2900), .xyz (KSh 1300), .space (KSh 1000), .ngo (KSh 5000) and .or.ug at 3,500 shillings.
If you have a domain that you want to transfer, their charges per year is KSh 1,000.[get your own here]
Kenya Website Experts shared hosting plans – a review of features and pricing
Kenyawebexperts.com offers Linux web hosting plans with cPanel and webmail and great up-time reliability
Under this they offer clients the following packages:
- Starter hosting which is ideal for small websites with a secure disk space of 30 GB, 300 GB in bandwidth (web traffic) to get you started – all at a yearly price of KSh 2,100.
- Standard hosting is suited for a wide range of websites with 40 GB secure disk space, 400 GB bandwidth and costs KSh 4,100 a year.
- Bronze hosting, a high-performance plan for busy sites, with 50 GB secure disk space, 500 GB bandwidth and a cost of 7,100 a year.
- Gold hosting plan comes with – as the hosting company puts it – unlimited disk space and bandwidth – all at a price of 14,100 a year.
The Bronze and Gold shared hosting plans come with secure SSL certificate unlike the Starter and Standard plans.
You are allowed to create unlimited subdomains, databases and email accounts in all the plans. The four plans come with a free Softaculous script installer which is available free in the control panel dashboard, cPanel.
The plans also come with reliable support (via phone and email), 30 day money back guarantee (they refund your money if you are not satisfied with their hosting service or support), backups, autoresponders, POP 3, spam filtering, email virus scanning, PHP 5, web statistics, DNS management, online file manager and the many free software like WordPress, Joomla, Opencart, Drupal, phpBB, OSClass, among others, that you can install with Softaculous whenever you login to cPanel – which you can easily access from your desktop computer, laptop, tablet or phone.
Once you make payment for a plan of your choice and make payment, Kenya Web Experts creates your account instantly making it easy for you start working on your website or blog immediately – upload files, change designs, install a script or create emails for the various employees and departments in your company.[learn more on their site]
Kenya Web Experts Windows web hosting
The hosting company also has four plans under this. They include:
- Starter Windows web hosting plan with secure disk space of 5 GB, 50 GB bandwidth at a cost of 5,100 a year.
- Standard plan with 10 GB secure disk space, 100 GB bandwidth priced at 6,100 Kenyan Shillings a year.
- Bronze, an advanced Windows web hosting plan with 20 GB secure disk space, 200 GB bandwidth at a cost of KSh 7100 a year.
- Gold, a professional Windows hosting package that goes for 10,100 shillings a year with – as the company puts it – unlimited bandwidth and disk space.
All the Windows hosting plans above come with unlimited FTP accounts, MySQL databases, email accounts creation and subdomains.
They also come with: reliable servers (99.99% uptime), reliable support, 30 day money back guarantee, easy online access using the Plesk control panel, Horde email (unlimited in both Bronze and Gold), phpMyAdmin, ASP .NET v2 and v4, PHP, autoresponders, email auto responders, website stats, WordPress, Joomla, Drupal and other free scripts.[more information]
Kenya Website Experts reseller services (domain and hosting)
The company offers reseller hosting for individuals who want to start their own web hosting business.
Besides that, as a domain registrar, they also offer wholesale domain prices to resellers who can quickly integrate their domain reselling service via API to scripts like WHMCS (which comes free with their reseller web hosting packages).
Under their domain reseller service –
… you can usually get domains at discounted prices saving big – sometimes even more than 100 shillings per purchase (e.g. you can get a domain that normally sells at KSh 1000 for 900 shillings or less).
At the moment you can, as a domain reseller, get .com, .co.ke, .net, .org, .info, .or.ke, .ne.ke, .ac.ke, .go.ke, .mobi.ke and .biz at KSh 890 only.
.me and .co goes for KSh 2400 each while .mobi costs KSh 1900.
.us, .de, and .in costs KSh 900 each while .me.uk goes for KSh 1400 a year and has to be registered for at least two years.
.co.uk and .org.uk each costs 1800 shillings (each has to be registered for a minimum of 2 years).[learn more]
Kenya Web Experts reseller hosting plans and pricing
This company provides one of the best reseller hosting services in Kenya, with all their reseller plans coming with a free WHMCS billing software to make managing your hosting business and clients easy.
The three plans include:
- Starter – a perfect reseller hosting plan for beginners with 50 GB secure disk space, 100 GB bandwidth and a monthly price of 2,900 Kenyan Shillings.
- Standard – a reliable low cost reseller hosting plan with 100 GB secure disk space, 2,000 GB bandwidth at a cost of KSh 4400 a month.
- Bronze – an advanced reseller hosting package with 200 GB secure disk space, 4,000 GB bandwidth priced at KSh 6,400 a month.
All the reseller plans come with 99.9% uptime, unlimited creation of subdomains, cPanel accounts, WHMCS (Web Host Manager Complete Solution – which provides hosting and domain management, recurring billing and integrated support), WHM (Web Host Manager), Softaculous, private nameservers, support, ability to create user accounts and sell domains and you customers receive features listed in the shared hosting plans above like MySQL databases, webmail, online file manager, cPanel, Softaculous script installer making it easy for them to install software like WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, Magento, OpenCart, Zen Cart, phpBB etc.
If you want more control with your web server, you can use the hosting company’s dedicated servers or VPS (virtual private servers) services.
Kenya Web Experts VPS Servers plans, features and prices
The VPS packages (unmanaged) include:
- Starter VPS – which is perfect for beginners. It costs Kenya Shillings 9,900 a month and includes the following features: 2 GB RAM, 35 GB disk space, one 3.3 GHz CPU, CentOS 6 and speed of 256 Kbps.
- Standard VPS, a reliable low-cost VPS hosting plan that goes for a monthly fee of 11,500 and comes with 4 GB RAM, 115 GB disk space, 1 3.3 GHz CPU, CentOS 6 and speed of 256 Kbps.
- Bronze VPS – an advanced VPS hosting package priced at 19,000 a month with the following included in the package: 4 GB RAM, 285 disk space, 2 CPUs of 3.3 GHz each, CentOS 6 and 256 Kbps speed.
The VPS servers are physically located in Kenya and the IP’s geolocation shows Kenya and Google recognizes the server IP address as located in Kenya.
All the servers come with VMware visualization software, are reliable and have full root access and you’re able to install advanced software and customize virtually anything.
Kenya Web Experts dedicated Servers plans, features and prices
If you want more resources, beyond the limitations of those provided by the shared hosting plans above (higher level speed, security and uptime), Kenya Web Experts dedicated server managed solution is what you should go for.
Their dedicated servers are provisioned, secured and typically delivered with 24 hours of purchase.
Their dedicated servers include:
- Dedicated 1 – a server plan perfect for beginners at Kenya Shillings 19,000 a month. It comes with 4 GB RAM, 1 TB disk space and 5 TB bandwidth.
- Dedicated 2 – a reliable low cost server plan with 8 GB RAM, 1 TB disk space and 10 TB bandwidth that goes for 22,000 shillings monthly.
- Dedicated 3 – an advanced dedicated server package with 16 GB RAM, 1 TB disk space and 15 TB bandwidth. This plan goes for 27,000 shillings a month.
All the plans come with server setup and cPanel installation.[more information]
Kenya Web Experts SSL certificates features and prices 2019
If you want more security for your blog, website or online business and keep your customers data and transactions (logins, connections, personal and financial data) safe by encrypting anything sent to your server you can buy an SSL certificate from Kenya Website Experts – increasing the level of security on your site (and increasing customers confidence by showing https:// in your URLs).
SSL is the standard security technology for establishing an encrypted link between a web server and a browser. And KenyaWebExperts offers, for sale and installation, the following SSL certificates.
- Comodo Domain Validation SSL is a perfect secure sockets layer for beginners which goes for Kenya Shillings 5,000 a year. This can be used on a single domain and comes with domain validation.
- Comodo Company Validation SSL, a reliable low-cost certificate used on a single domain, comes with company validation and costs 9,000 annually.
- Comodo UCC SSL Certificates for Microsoft Exchange. Comes with full subject alternative name (SAN), 128/256 bit encryption and costs KSh 30,000 a year.
All the SSL certificates are trusted by 99.9% of web browsers, have site seal and come with industry leading support.
This hosting also provides web design for different types of websites, blogs and e-commerce sites for individuals and businesses. Check their rates here.